The Franz Josef Airport is privately operated by Air Safaris and we welcome other private pilots to use the airport.
We do ask though that you contact us before your arrival and get a briefing on the airfield and its operations from a company pilot current with the area.
For any commercial operations that involve the airfield we ask that you contact us before any quote or arrangements are made with your client.
You can contact us on 03 7520 716 or on our enquiries form.
If you are flying in, here are some handy tips before your arrival:
- The Franz Josef Airport is situated within the Mt Cook Area MBZ and the frequency is 118.6.
- Caution The Franz Josef Heliport (NZFR) is located 4.5NM to the southeast of the airport.
- The MBZ frequency can be quite busy and covers a large mountainous area both sides of the Main Divide. As a result most calls are heard by traffic at high level and it is important to keep calls clear and concise so as to minimise the disturbance to other aircraft.
- Air Safaris aircraft will often be keeping to a schedule so where safe to do so, please give way to these aircraft.
- Skydiving operation exist from the aerodrome with a PLA located south of the hanger by the road, an alternate PLA is located 2 NM west of aerodrome.
- Aircraft should remain clear of the overhead position once a skydive drop has began.
- If safe to do so, please join the airport overhead.
- There is a 1.0 slope on the runway, downward on 28 and upwards on 10.
- Rwy 28 Right hand circuit – remain west of Canavan Knob when turning finals due helicopter traffic at Franz Josef Heliport .
- Rwy 10 Left hand
- Make an early go around decision if unhappy with the approach.
- The strip is quite narrow so keep it straight.
- Grass can be soft either side of the runway so please use turnaround bays at either end.
- Use full length of runway for take off.
- Operation to be confined to seal and gravel areas.
- Talk to staff to ensure you know where to park.
- Z Energy is the only fuel provider at the airport, it requires you to have a 4 digit pin on your fuel card.
- Franz Josef Airport is available for use strictly subject to prior approval and briefing by the aerodrome operator.
- Christchurch imformation 118.5 is unreliable below 3000ft.
- Landing fees apply by fuel tank.